The code 82 on your Chevy Sonic is very common. It comes every time you drive your vehicle around 5000 to 10000 miles. Because the code is related to the level of oil on your engine and its condition.
Here we are going to tell you about the code 82 on your Chevy Sonic. We will also tell you how to solve this code. The discussion is going to be very simple and easy if you read it thoroughly. So, let’s see in detail.
What does Code 82 Mean on Chevy Sonic?
The code 82 is one of the most common on Chevy Sonic. This code means the engine oil is running low. Its workability is less than 5%. So, if your Chevy Sonic engine feels the need for oil, it shows this code.
This code has some seriousness for many reasons. Your engine will exhaust huge black smoke and it will generate bad sounds. Besides this, the engine will face some serious problems in the future. So you need to solve this as soon as possible. We bring fixing ways of this code. Let’s see.
How to fix Code 82 on Chevy Sonic?
Fixing this code on Chevy Sonic is very simple and easy. You can do this in two steps. I discuss both the steps very clearly for you. Let’s step down to the fixing process.
First Change Oil
As the main problem is related to the level of oil of your engine, you need to drain the old oil from the engine and add new. This process is shown here.
- Step 1: First of all you have to open the hood of your vehicle.
- Step 2: Then you will find one box type section where you will get the brand logo. This is the oil tank.
- Step 3: Open the oil cap. This is important to add new oil and drain old oil.
- Step 4: Now you have to move to the oil filter. As the oil becomes thick when it is oil, you may need to remove the filter. To remove the oil filter, use a 24 mm socket. If you face difficulty in finding the filter then read the manual of Chevy Sonic.
- Step 5: Now the work is under the engine. You have to find the oil drain plug. To open this, you need a 10 mm socket. This is a very small place to work. You may need to lay under the car.
- Step 6: Take a pot to reserve the old oil and remove the drain plug. Now it will take a few minutes to get all the oil out of the engine.
- Step 7: When the oil is finished. Reinstall the plug and tighten it with that socket.
- Step 8: Now come out from under the engine and take a big funnel. Place that funnel on the oil tank.
- Step 9: Add new oil to the tank. The oil should be 4.8 quarts. Don’t forget to measure the oil level after you add it. Finally, recap the tank.
That was the process of changing oil from the Chevy Sonic. But that is not the end. The code will still be there. Read the next section also to remove that code.
Now, Reset Oil Meter
The code may appear even after you add new oil to the tank. The reason behind this is you did not let the engine know that you added new oil. You have to help the meter to know the new condition of the oil. Let’s see how to do that.
- Step 1: To remove this code from Chevy Sonic, you have to keep the engine in parking more. This is the first step of this process.
- Step 2: Then you will need to start the engine by using the key. You will see the code is still there and the oil percentage is still 0.
- Step 3: Now click on the “Menu” button. You need to continue clicking on this button until you get the “Oil Life” option on the meter screen. The oil is 0% now.
- Step 4: Now do a long press on the Set/CLR button. This will generate a ‘Beep’ sound on the engine. The oil percentage will also start growing. Continue the click till the percentage reaches 100%.
I hope now the code is gone and your engine is ok. This is how you can fix code 82 from the Chevy Sonic. Both the sections are important. You can’t solve this if you avoid one of the sections I show you.
That was all about the 82 code on the Chevy Sonic engine. I tried to show you the easiest way of fixing this. But if you face any problem yet after reading our article, you may call an expert mechanic. Call a mechanic who has experience in Chevy Sonic. That was all about the code 82 on Chevy Sonic. Thanks for reading from us.