The people who are new to Freightliner Cascadia don’t know about many of its features. Among them, the ATS system is one. The people who don’t know what it is, ask the question ‘what is the ATS system on a Freightliner Cascadia?’. Thinking about them, this discussion is designed.
ATS system is a part of this type of truck that helps to clean our environment. There are some more things to know about it.
Here we will try to answer that question and as a gift, we will provide more valuable information related to this technology. So, let’s start knowing about it.
What Is The ATS System On A Freightliner Cascadia?
Usually, an aftertreatment system (ATS) refers to a component of an engine that helps to reduce the harmful emissions that result from the burning of fuel. And when it is about the Freightliner Cascadia, the ATS means the same thing.
The Freightliner Cascadia engines are powerful and they are prone to produce more gas and emit that. To reduce that and meet the emission regulations of the USA, these engines require this system. So, the ATS system is very much essential for the Freightliner Cascadia engine.
After this system comes into the market, most powerful engines like Freightliner Cascadia are using this and the users are benefiting from this system. The working way is very simple inside this device. That is just filtering the exhaust emission many times and monitoring temperature by many sensors. Let’s see how this system works in Freightliner Cascadia.
How ATS System Works On Freightliner Cascadia?
Engineering is all about solving problems, and the aftertreatment system in Freightliner Cascadia is no exception. ATS consists of a variety of devices that work together to reduce the amount of pollutants that are released into the atmosphere. This can include devices that remove nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, and particulate matter from the air.
The working process of the Freightliner Cascadia ATS system is just filtering. The gas comes from the engine then passes through these filters and is finally released through the turbo. We can explain the process in the following way.
ATS works in Freightliner Cascadia by catalytically breaking down harmful pollutants. This process involves the use of precious metals, such as platinum and palladium, which act as catalysts.
These catalysts convert the pollutants into more innocuous compounds, such as water vapor and carbon dioxide. The water vapor is then released into the atmosphere, and the carbon dioxide is eliminated from the engine.
Why is the ATS System Needed in Freightliner Cascadia?
As Freightliner Cascadia contains a powerful engine, it consumes more fuel and generates more gas. So, it needs to reduce poisonous gas from its exhaust. Thinking this, the ATS system is important in this engine. There are some more reasons to use ATS in Freightliner Cascadia.
ATS will keep the environment clean and the vehicle will follow emission regulations. This is the main benefit of having this system in this engine. By choosing an ATS that is certified by the EPA or CARB, you can be sure that you are making a responsible and sustainable choice.
Oxidation catalysts are used to oxidize pollutants into less harmful substances, and scrubbers remove the pollutants from the air. This system plays an important role in ensuring that the engine produces clean emissions. Additionally, by choosing an ATS that is compatible with your vehicle, you can be sure that it will function properly and meet your specific needs.
All these are the benefits of having this technology in a Freightliner Cascadia engine. Let’s some more benefits in short.
- It improves the engine performance.
- ATS increases fuel efficiency.
- Reduce maintenance costs and time.
- Improve the vehicle’s reliability, durability, and safety in all driving conditions.
- The system also provides an excellent way to reduce noise emissions.
Components of ATS System
If we talk about the components of this system then we have to name some filters, some sensors, some modules, and many more. Let’s see all these components and their works in short.
- Temperature Sensor: This sensor measures the temperature of the gas and then sends a message to engine Dash.
- DOC: Diesel Oxidation Catalyst or DOC is one filter that removes PM from the gas
- DPF Sensor: Send gas condition report to the engine dash.
- DPF: Based on the DPF sensor’s report, this filter works to remove particles from gas. DPF means Diesel Particulate Filter.
- UL2 Dosing Module: This is a secondary part that releases fresh air into the atmosphere. But if any gas has any other particle, that goes to another filter.
- Compact Mixer Sensor Table: This component also plays an important role here.
- SCR Catalyst: After the double filter, if any part of the gas has some nitric oxide, This catalyst removes that too.
- PM Sensor: Measure the level of PM (particle matter) in gas and then release them.
- NOx Sensor: Measure Nitric Oxide levels in the gas and then release them.
An aftertreatment system is one of the essential components of an engine. The job it performs is very much necessary for all of us. This is what the ATS system is on a Freightliner Cascadia. I hope you get a clear idea about this system.
If you are an owner and want to know about it, this feature of your truck will please you. That was all about what is the ATS system on a Freightliner Cascadia. Thanks for reading from us.